Tuesday, January 21, 2014

One Word 365 January Check-in - Quiet


I’m embarking on the OneWord train for the first time this year. My word is Quiet.  There is so much about my life that is NOT quiet, that I knew this was my word almost the second it popped into my head.

A friend of mine is on a journey with her OneWord and posted a January Check-in.  I thought it was a great idea - and a way for me to stay accountable, so here is mine - I will link up here.

What does quiet mean for me?  Right now, it is two-fold.  First, and foremost, is getting back to regular quiet time with the Lord.  I’m terrible about that.  I pretty much always have been.  (hanging my head)    But, I know that I cannot see where God wants me to be if I don’t spend time WITH Him. 

So, the alarm goes off at 5:15 during the week and I drag myself out of bed and find the coffee.   Why 5:15 and not later?  I’m a mom of 4.  I am the school bus, and it leaves at 7:15.  I need every bit of that 2 hours in the morning to get myself up and functioning, get the kids up and functioning, pack 4 lunches, fix breakfast and get everyone out the door.  Remember how I said my life wasn’t quiet?  Yep, right there.

But, now, I stop and spend some time reading His word.  I picked a pretty basic “Read the Bible in One Year” plan.  We did a Jesse Tree the last two Christmases, and I was caught off guard by how much of the Bible I hadn’t read.  This seemed like a good plan. 

I have The Bible app on my tablet – and it is amazing.  It beeps at me every morning at 5:20 to remind me to read.  I open the app and it brings me to today’s reading.  Bonus – it’s backlit so I can read in the dark!  (It’s the little things that make me happy at 5:15)  One of the great things about reading on my tablet is that Google is right there when I am done reading – and if I have a question (or 10), I can type it into Google and get an answer – or 10.  At the very least, I gain additional insight. 

So, for 21 days now, I have risen each morning and spent time with the Lord.  I missed a day or two here and there, but have caught up later in the day.  I don’t always stop to pray right after – but will mull over His word through my morning routine.  Once the kids are off to school, I take a few moments to pray. 

I’m still learning HOW to pray.  Again, I haven’t been consistent with this at all, so it’s hard for me.  I know He will meet me where I am, so my goal for next month is more consistent prayer.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up -- and I love how "quiet" has been at work! Can't wait to see what the next month brings :). See you in February!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on continuing for 21 days! I grew up with three younger siblings and know it was hard for our mom to find quiet, alone time with God. (When I was little, I actually thought girls don't have quiet time because I saw my dad have his but Mom always did hers before I was awake.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love the habits you have established and are incorporating into your life and your (EARLY!) morning routine. I've got a feeling God is going to bless that obedience...in the form of peace and QUIET, just what you're longing for. My husband and I have been getting up at 6:30 am to pray together for 2 years now- something we were going to do for a month. It's now a lifelong habit that we are so thrilled we are doing, and that God has allowed us to do almost uninterrupted.

    Keep up the great work for God, and by doing so you are nurturing your own well being and faith-walk.

    ReplyDelete