Thursday, January 23, 2014

Five Minute Friday - Visit

Once a week, I join a flash mob of writers.  We write for 5 minutes on a prompt, no editing, no backtracking, no overthinking.  We link up here.  Then, no ifs, ands, or buts, we visit the person who linked up before us and leave them some love. That is the rule - and the heart of this community.

This week's word was VISIT

GO:

I had to laugh when I saw the prompt for this week, as I just came back from a visit to the Emergency Room.  While setting the Stone Table on a platform as stage crew for Narnia: the Musical, I stepped/fell off the platform.  I landed badly and broke the outer bone on my left foot.  OUCH!

But, as I considered the word, I went back to the scene that was taking place on stage right after I fell.  For those who are not familiar with The Chronicles of Narnia, they are widely considered to be an allegory to Christ.  Because of my injury, I was able to watch the scene unfold, rather than getting ready for the next scene change.  In this scene, Aslan volunteers to die at the hand of the White Witch in the place of Edmund, who betrayed his family.   I was near tears myself as I watched Aslan being led meekly to the Table.

Edmund, and his two sisters, watch as Aslan is killed - and Edmund is noticeably shaken by what he has witnessed.  The girls cry and mourn their beloved lion.  Edmund, I think, realizes how undeserving he is of the sacrifice Aslan made - and rallies to support his family in their battle against the White Witch.

Wow!  Such a powerful scene.   Then, Aslan defeats death and the table cracks.

The children all rejoice when Aslan appears later in the play - and helps them to defeat the White Witch.

So much like Christ's sacrifice for us.  We, too, are undeserving, but He steps in to take the punishment that is our due.

We are broken, but He makes us whole again.

STOP.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie,
    Sorry to hear about your broken foot...Thanks for sharing that scene...I love that story and that scene is particularly moving...Grateful, God makes us whole :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always sob during this scene whether I am reading it or watching it. The power of it is just overwhelming!

    Just stopping by for a 'visit' from FMF!

    ReplyDelete