Friday, January 31, 2014

Five Minute Friday - Hero

Every week, I join a flash mob of writers called Five Minute Friday.  We write for 5 minutes on a given word and then link up here.  Then, no ifs ands or buts, we visit the person who linked up before us and share some love. 

This weeks word was Hero.

Go.

When I think about the word HERO many things come to mind.  The first is Superman, Batman, and others like them.  I also think about our military and first responders – and how they put their lives on the line every day.  They are truly heros to many people.

But, what jumped to the front of my mind was my high school calculus teacher.  What?!?  A Calculus teacher?  Seriously?

Yes. 

I went to a high school for kids who excelled in math and science.  I was “good” at math, but learning how to navigate high school and taking challenging courses took it’s toll on my grades.  I squeaked out of Geometry with a B and Algebra II Trig wasn’t much better.  Math Analysis nearly did me in, I earned a C.  Barely.  I know now that I just didn’t know how to study for math, but back then, I just felt dumb.  Like I didn’t really belong at that school.  Like I should go back to my base school and give up. 

But, I was determined to stick it out – AND do well.  You see, I had a dream of going to the Naval Academy, so I knew I was in a good place.  I knew that I needed to take the hardest Calculus course there was, in order to prove to “them” that I could do it.  I argued and argued with my counselor about taking Calculus BC – the equivalent of College Calculus 1 and 2.  She wanted me to take Calculus AB – just Calculus 1.  I won the argument – with the strict admonition that if my grade slipped below a C+, I was going to be yanked back to AB.

Challenge issued – and accepted.

I struggled.  Oh, wow, did I struggle. 

But, Dr. Stallings was at school over an hour before the day started and his door was open.  He ate lunch in the classroom and his door was open.  He was there after school and his door was open.  It got so if he was in the classroom, so was I.  We solved problem set after problem set. 

We went over everything.  Again. And again.

And again.

I got C+s, I even got a B one quarter.  Oh, happy day!

Then, came the final exam.  2 hours.  Every topic from September to June.  My exam was the last exam of the week.  School was dismissed after 2 exams each day.  I stayed after EVERY DAY to study with Dr. Stallings. 

I finished the exam.  He graded it RIGHT THEN! 

I missed one question.  One!  ONE!!!!! 

My final grade in that class was an A.  All of the Cs and Bs were turned into As because he knew how hard I had worked.  And that I finally “got it!”  I earned that A through perseverance.

Dr. Stallings is why I am now studying to be a math teacher – 20 years later.  My desire is to be a teacher like he was – always available for a student who is struggling.

He was a hero to me – and I hope to be a hero to another student.  Paying it forward.

Stop.

1 comment:

  1. That is indeed a nice motivation. And that constitutes a being worthy of admiration. May you succeed in your efforts, and find students as eager as yourself! You could teach me some mathematics. The only thing I remember, is that X is a peculiar being. So I make some effort to be one.

    ReplyDelete