Tuesday, November 17, 2009

There is a reason I never liked Biology

An apology to Mr. McFaden, my Biology teacher from high school, but I *still* don't enjoy dissecting. Not even with my first grader sitting in front of me, helping. It's gross and definitely not something I am interested in.

But, I sat there today, owl pellet in front of me, toothpicks in hand, searching for tiny rodent bones. We did find an intact rodent skull. We also found what appeared to be a beak from a small bird. All I can say is that I am thankful that we did not find the complete rodent's tail, skin and all, as did one of Rachel's classmates. Nor did we find three skulls - as did another of Rachel's classmates.









The most entertaining part of the process was the clean-up afterwards. The majority of the parents helping with this project were moms. The conversations enroute to and in the girls restroom were hilarious. They ranged from "that was the most disgusting thing I have ever done" to "I need to earn some serious Mom points for this" and the one that made me chuckle the most "when my next child is in first grade, my husband is getting this job."

I think each child in the girls room was made to wash their hands twice, if not three times, by the moms who were also washing their hands multiple times. I shudder to think of the supervision (or lack thereof) in the hand washing process in the boy's room. There were only three dads in the room at the time.

Guess what we did right after dissection? Yes, you guessed it - we ate lunch.

When Rebecca dissected the pellet, Kevin helped and I stood, well, somewhere else. This year, he had to be on a conference call, so I got duty. Next time around, it is his turn. I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. Only a Mom would find the cleanup the most entertaining part of the day!

    ReplyDelete